Monday, May 29, 2006

A yarning we will go.....

Wishing everyone a pleasant Memorial Day. I haven't posted in a while. Let's just say that as the funeral wrapped up and I returned home I was overwhelmed with a case of the mean reds. I have still been knitting but it has been kind of slow lately.

My husband, in an attempt to snap me out of the mean reds, has been taking an active interest in the knitting. On Friday we were talking about Wool Windings' blog. In particular, I was explaining the concept of "yarning" to him. He apparently was inspired as this weekend he took me to beutiful historic Galena where we went yarning at a store called Fiber Wild.

The store was beautiful! Walls and walls of bins filled with every type of natural fiber I could think of. I NEED some bamboo yarn! To date I had logged many hours in the local Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's Fabrics, Ben Franklin, and yes the local Wal-Mart. In addition, I have spent countless hours staring at online fabrics. However, this was the first time I was turned loose to "pet" the yarns. It was blissful. I spent several hours walking around and touching things. The picture below is the bounty I brought home with me!




The proprieter was also really nice. She helped me work on my lace pattern for the Amazing Lace KAL. In addition, she encouraged me to try a sweater. So I bought a book which features sweater patterns for little ones and some yarn (the olive colored yarn in the picture) and am going to make a sweater for baby Zach. I also got some Trekking XXL for Trek Along with Me . The thing that I am most excited about however, is my very first set of Addi Turbo needles! They are a size 6 and 40 inches long. They are meant to host the triangle shawl that I am making for the amazing lace KAL! All in all I feel loved.

2 comments:

Tracy Batchelder said...

Looks like a very successful day of "yarning"! You came home with some great things. I'm excited to hear that you are in the Trekking KAL too.

Jamie C. said...

Me too! I caved and finally joined the Trek KAL. I said that I wouldn't, but I am weak. I am on the quest for a good color and will be happily knitting in the Canadian Rockies!